Garden hoses for pressure washers come in three main sizes, including 3/4 inches, 1 inch, and 1 1/4 inches. The most common garden hose for pressure washers, also known as the standard garden hose, is 3/4 inches in diameter.
As we all know, a pressure washer is helpful for many jobs, most of which are related to cleaning. As long as paired with a suitable garden hose, this machine allows you to do the job efficiently.
However, choosing a garden hose for the pressure washer is not as easy as it seems. Choosing the wrong size might lead to decreased water pressure and can even damage your pressure washer or cause the hose to burst.
So what size garden hose for a pressure washer? Let’s clear your query with the valuable information here!
What Size Garden Hose For Pressure Washer?
Garden hoses for pressure washers come in three main sizes, including 3/4 inches, 1 inch, and 1 1/4 inches.
The most common garden hose for pressure washers, also known as the standard garden hose, is 3/4 inches in diameter.
But you can consider buying a larger size, such as a one-inch or 1 1/4 inches garden hose, depending on your pressure washer.
If you are confused in determining the size of the garden hose for your pressure washer, just remember these tips:
- A 2700 psi pressure washer will work well with a 3/4 hose.
- Also, for 2700 PSI to 3600 PSI, 1-inch hoses will be your best bet.
- The biggest diameter hose is 1 1/4 inches, permitting the most efficient water flow while minimizing wasted energy.
3/4-Inch Garden Hose
You can use 3/4-Inch garden hoses for various tasks, such as cleaning vehicles, watering plants, filling baby pools, etc. These hoses are standard ones that are affordable and easy to find.
- Hose diameter: 3/4 inches.
- Hose length: Range from 25 to 100 feet.
1-Inch Garden Hose
This garden hose can withstand up to 80 PSI, meaning it has more pressure than the standard 3/4 inch hose.
Greater pressure means you need an increased water flow. That is why you need a larger hose diameter.
- Hose diameter: 1 inch.
- Hose length: Range from 25 to 100 feet.
1 1/4 Inches Garden Hose
It is the largest size for a garden hose that you can find. This hose size allows for a significantly stronger water flow than 1-inch or 3/4-inch hoses.
This hose works well in completely saturating a large area with water to get rid of dirt rather than just spraying it around.
Because of its stronger water flow, some homeowners prefer this size to anything else. However, it is harder to find than a standard garden hose.
- Hose diameter: 1 1/4 inches.
- Hose length: unknown.
Things To Consider While Purchasing Garden Hoses
Let’s start by checking out the PSI level of your pressure washer before purchasing a hose.
- If your machine has a pressure of 2700 PSI, you should choose a 3/4-inch hose.
- For 2700 to 3600 PSI, 1-inch hoses will work well.
- For more than 3600 PSI and up to 5000 PSI, you will be alright with a 1 1/4 inches diameter garden hose.
Determining the size of the hose is pretty simple.
If you want to cover a broad area, you’ll need a lengthy hose, while a shorter length hose is ideal for a small and tight space.
With a longer hose, you may face issues such as less water pressure, stepping on your hose, and being heavy when carrying around.
The material of the garden hose is also an essential factor to consider as it dictates the durability, flexibility, and price of the hose. Hose material comes in three types, including:
- Polyurethane hose: This type is the most expensive for many good reasons. It delivers the best of anything, including durability, flexibility, weight, etc.
- Rubber or synthetic rubber hose: It is an excellent garden hose. A 50-ft rubber hose typically costs approximately $50 or more.
- Plastic hose: This kind works well for light and medium-duty electric pressure cleaners. It is the cheapest hose but still flexible enough to be wound into a reel.
Yet, you will probably want more flex. The plastic hose is commonly made from plastic PVC
No matter what kind of connection your pressure washer and pressure wand/ gun have or what connection kind comes with your chosen hose, there is always a proper adapter to make them work.
Here are connections available out there:
- Female & Male Quick-connect: It typically comes with your pressure washer. If you want more, you can order it when buying the hose.
- Female & Male M22 threaded: In most cases, extension/replacement hoses are M22 female on both ends. So your pressure gun/wand would need to be an M22 male.
Every garden hose has its temperature range in which it will function properly.
If you want to use a hot water pressure washer, you must ensure your chosen hose can handle the hot water. If not, it might weaken over time, leading to rupture.
Troubleshooting Common Garden Hose Problems
A damaged hose can cause cracks or leaks.
Fix Or Replace a Damaged Hose
You can try repairing your damaged hose with tape or a patch.
If it does not work, you should use a different garden hose if the hose you’re utilizing is damaged.
After that, check out the connection between your pressure washer and the hose. Ultimately, extend your hose’s lifespan by taking care of it correctly.
The leading cause is debris, dirt, and other objects blocking the water flow.
Flush the hose using clean water. Afterward, remove any debris and dirt from your hose. Ultimately, check out the connection between your pressure washer and the hose.
You may want to increase the pressure setting on your pressure washer and clean the nozzle to see if water flow is improved.
Lack of Coverage
Common causes are improper pressure setting, utilizing the incorrect nozzle, and not overlapping strokes.
How to Prevent
Begin by checking out the pressure setting on your pressure washer. Then overlap strokes to ensure complete coverage. Ultimately, use the proper nozzle for your cleaning job.
If lack of coverage persists, try utilizing a different nozzle or hose.
Incorrect Pressure Setting
Check out the pressure setting on your pressure washer.
If the pressure is too high, all you need to do is decrease the pressure. But if the pressure is too low, you will need to increase the pressure.
Your Pressure Washer Not Working
If your machine doesn’t work for no reason, check the following in order:
- Check out the power cord of your machine to ensure it’s plugged in.
- Check out the water supply to ensure enough water pressure for your cleaning job.
- Inspect your garden hose to ensure it is not kinked or clogged.
- Check the nozzle to ensure it is not clogged.
- Check the pressure setting of your machine to ensure it is set correctly.
Tips on Extending the Life of your Garden Hose
- Don’t leave your garden hose in extreme temperatures or the sun.
- Avoid running your hose over sharp stuff.
- Don’t utilize your garden hose to clean chemicals or paint.
- Don’t kink your garden hose.
- Flush your hose with clean water after each use.
- Store the hose in a dry, cool place.
Does Hose Length Affect My Pressure Washer?
As a general rule, the longer your hose, the lower the pressure that arrives at the pressure washer. But except when your hose is extremely long, its length does not affect a pressure washer.
What Are Common Garden Hose Issues With My Pressure Washer?
Some typical garden hose issues with a pressure washer include damage, leaks, and kinking. You can prevent these issues by giving proper care to your hose and utilizing the proper pressure setting.
In addition, you can use a different hose if the one you are utilizing is damaged.
Ultimately, check out the connection between your pressure washer and the hose. Ensure it is secure and there are no leaks.
Does Garden Hose Size Affect My Pressure Washer?
The garden hose size can affect the pressure exerted on the surface you want to clean.
A smaller hose will produce a higher pressure output, while a larger one will decrease the pressure.
If your washer is high-powered, you should utilize a larger hose to avoid damaging your machine.
Finally, it is always wise to check out your owner’s manual to decide the best size hose for your machine.
The Bottom Line
The most common diameter size of a garden hose is 3/4 inches. But if you want to use your pressure washer to clean your patio and driveway, we recommend investing in a 1-inch or 1 1/4-inch hose.
Overall, the best size garden hose to utilize with pressure washers is 1 1/4 inches. It gives you the most robust water flow without any power loss.